Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
Nowadays online shopping becomes more popular than in-store shopping. Is it a positive or a negative development? Give your reasons and examples.
Now that we can buy just about anything with a few mouse clicks from the comfort of our home, very few people actually feel the need to venture into brick and mortar stores. There is no denying the fact that online shopping has become more popular than in-store shopping. This trend has both positive and negative aspects.
The huge popularity of online shopping can be attributed to the fact that it makes shopping easier. It saves both time and money. Buyers no longer have to drive all the way to shops to buy things. Also, online stores tend to offer attractive prices probably because they have lower overhead costs. This allows them to sell items for deeply discounted prices. This can lead to major cost benefits for shoppers. In addition, online shopping makes it easy to buy things from any part of the world. Even if an item is not available in your country, you can buy it from online stores. Online shopping also allows you to compare prices before hitting the purchase button.
On the flip side, the ease of online shopping has made many people compulsive shoppers. Most of us spend lots of time on the internet every day. And while we are on the internet, we get bombarded with numerous advertisements. For a compulsive shopper, this is a good reason to splurge. The fact that online shopping encourages us to buy things that we do not need or use cannot be denied. This can lead to debts. Also, there are security concerns. When you buy things online, you run a small risk of getting your financial information exploited by hackers. Of course, good anti-virus and anti-malware programs can offer a great deal of protection. But almost every week, we hear about data breaches at major online retailers.
To conclude, online shopping has several advantages and disadvantages. However, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Of course, the shopper has to exercise some common sense and keep their device free of malware if they want to enjoy the benefits of online shopping.
- Topic card: Talk about online shopping
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS sample essay: should internet be regulated?
- IELTS essay: Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different mediums for car advertisements
- Band 7 essay samples: Should noisy and disobedient students be taught separately?
- IELTS Writing – Reports
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- Band 7 essay samples: It is better to study abroad
- Young employees are more valuable than old employees | Band 7 essay samples
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals | Band 8 essay samples