Abnormal | IELTS vocabulary
Abnormal can mean unnatural, unusual, atypical, irregular, uncommon, exceptional, strange, peculiar, odd, freakish or eccentric
- Jane has an abnormal fear of strangers.
- An abnormal amount of rain fell in May.
- Indians spend an abnormal amount of money on marriages.
Note that abnormal can mean either below or above normal.
- Einstein had an abnormal IQ. (His IQ was above normal.)
- A stupid also has an abnormal IQ. (His IQ is below normal.)
Normal, natural, usual, typical, conventional, ordinary, regular, familiar, unexceptional, common etc.
Subnormal always means below or worse than normal.
- The artist delivered a subnormal performance. (= The artist’s performance was below normal.)
- She is a subnormal singer.
An abnormality is a deformity, an aberration, a malformation, an irregularity or an oddity.
- A clubfoot is an abnormality.