Some People Think That Watching Sports In One’s Free Time Is Just A Waste Of Time | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that watching sports in one’s free time is just waste of time. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people hold the opinion that it is such a waste of free time to watch sport. I disagree with this view. In my opinion, watching sports can enhance bonding within communities and promote a healthier lifestyle among individuals.
Watching sport on television or from the gallery is an opportunity for people to come together and cheer for their team. Fans watching the game together may have different status in life and they may endorse different religious beliefs or political ideologies. However, when they watch the game, they have only one concern in the world and that is to see their team emerge victorious. Obviously, sporting events bring people closer and help them forget their differences. When their team wins an international match, it is celebration time for all of them. Sports even ignite patriotic feelings in people.
Community bonding is not the only benefit of watching sports. When people watch their favourite sportspersons in action, they feel encouraged to stay fit and live a healthier life. Teenagers, in particular, adore sporting heroes and want to emulate their lifestyle. Needless to say, people who watch sports matches regularly tend to live physically active lives. They are also healthier. For example, a recent study showed that there was a 30% increase in gym memberships during the recently held World Cup Football championship. By contrast, watching other television shows or engaging in other activities during free time does not produce this effect. This is because the content is less inspiring and it does not motivate people to change their lifestyle. Thus, it is evident that watching sports in free time motivates people to engage in physical activity and live healthier lives.
To conclude, watching sports is not a waste of time. It promotes stronger bonding within communities and leaves a positive impact on people by encouraging them to pursue a healthy way of life.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- Some People Think That Watching Sport In Leisure Time Is A Waste Of Time | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Watching Movies Is A Waste Of Time | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- More People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- Sports Programmes On Television Are The Reason For The Poor Health Of Young People | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS speaking part 1 practice test