Some People Say History Is One Of The Most Important School Subjects | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people say History is one of the most important school subjects. Other people think that, in today’s world, subjects like Science and Technology are more important than History. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students.
Watch our Youtube video to learn how to write a discuss both sides essay. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.You can find a video lesson on discuss both sides essay here.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
There is a controversial discussion about which subject should be of the greatest importance in school curriculum. Some people argue that history, which is about the past, should be viewed as the priority in primary education; whilst other people believe that Science and Technology are more critical. In my opinion, despite the fact that history should be taught as a compulsory subject, practical courses about science and technology are more crucial for students’ future development.
There is no denying the fact that history helps young people understand their culture and gives them identity. The young generation can grasp an in-depth understanding about how their culture and country have evolved over the centuries from studying history. Meanwhile, it gives young people a sense of belonging. For example, in China, students study history which is dated back / which dates back to 1000 BC and they feel honoured about the ancient Chinese civilisation. Therefore, I believe history is an important way for people to remember the past and discover their cultural identities.
Although history is still needed in school curriculum, science and technology related subjects are of the paramount importance because they can greatly enhance students’ career development. In this era, students who are equipped with profound knowledge in the field of advanced technology or science are popular in the job market. In fact, very few history students can find a good job.
A survey conducted by Harvard University shows that the employment rate of students majoring in computer science is 30% higher than that of students having history degrees. It is clear that learning Science and Technology will give students a head start and helps them become successful in their career. This can be viewed as the most important outcome for most families and modern education.
In conclusion, this essay agrees with the argument that schools as well as students should devote more resources and time to Science and Technology. Meanwhile, history should still be maintained as a mandatory topic for every student. In this way, students will not only be equipped with knowledge about their culture and identity but also be educated with the most critical knowledge in the future job market.
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Some People Believe That Children Should Study Academic Subjects At School; Others Believe That Practical Subjects Are More Important | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- Music, Art And Drama Are As Important As Other School Subjects | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Some Countries, Secondary School Provides A General Education Across A Range Of Subjects | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Senior School Students Should Learn A Wide Range Of Subjects | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Say That Music, Art And Drama Are As Important As Other School Subjects At Primary Level | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Say Music, Art And Drama Are As Important As Other School Subjects | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some people think that studying history is a waste of time while others think that it is essential to learn | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample