IELTS essay about foreign films and local films
Some people think that it is good for a country’s culture to broadcast foreign films and TV shows. Others, however, think it is best to produce local films and shows. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
There are quite a few things that we can learn from foreign films and TV shows. This, however, does not mean that we should stop producing local films and shows. In my opinion, every nation should strive to produce high quality films and television programs that showcase their culture and values.
Hollywood films are now popular all over the world. Regional films enjoy less popularity; however, that is not a reason to stop producing local films. If Hollywood films are popular, that is because of their big budget. They use cutting edge technology to create films that find viewers all over the world. Small budget films produced in local languages can be just as good, if not better. India, for example, has a thriving regional film industry. The film industry in Kerala and West Bengal produce high quality films that win awards at both national and international film festivals. They may not enjoy the same commercial success as Bollywood or Hollywood films, but they showcase the culture of these states and give their people a voice and identity.
I am not against watching foreign films, but I strongly disagree with the argument that we can promote the culture of a country by broadcasting foreign films. Films and television programs have a huge impact on people. Children who grow up watching only foreign or English films may find it difficult to connect with their culture. This cultural alienation will not help a nation in any way. In my opinion, every country should produce its own literature, music and movies. One should look at these art forms as a channel to promote one’s own culture.
To conclude, every nation should produce their own films and shows to promote their culture. There is no harm in watching foreign films, but our goal must be producing films that foreigners will also enjoy watching.
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
- IELTS Speaking Test Part 3: General Questions About Movies
- IELTS Speaking sample test with answers 2
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS essay sample: Children now know less about their culture
- IELTS speaking task 2: Describe a movie you liked
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- IELTS essay: Should museums charge an entry fee?
- IELTS speaking part 2 and 3: Talk about a movie you watched in a cinema