There has been an increase in the number of children and youngsters committing crime. What are the reasons for this? What punishments should they receive?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Over the past few years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of crimes committed by teenagers. There are several reasons for this and the most important among them is the influence of the media. Poverty and illiteracy also encourage many teens to get into crime. Young people committing serious crimes should receive the same punishment as adults. That is the most effective way to curb juvenile crime.
Young people who watch a lot of violent programmes on television and the internet have higher chances of getting into crime than their peers who do not watch such shows. Juveniles have impressionable minds and as such it is quite easy for them to get influenced by what they watch. Needless to say, they commit crimes without even fully understanding the consequences of their action. The family background is another major influence on children. Children coming from poor or dysfunctional families are more likely to get involved in anti-social activities. Oftentimes, they do not have a role model in life and get into bad company. Peer pressure is another factor that influences children. Youngsters may pick up habits like smoking or drinking under the influence of their peers. They may even steal money to have the same lifestyle as their friends.
Giving the right punishment is crucial for dealing with juvenile crime. Young people committing heinous crimes should be treated like adults and receive the same punishment. In many countries, this is not the case and juveniles are treated leniently. This has to change. Stringent punishments will automatically act as a deterrent and force teens to think twice before they do something illegal. Parents and teachers can also play an important role in checking juvenile crime. Parents should monitor their children’s activities and the company they keep.
In conclusion, crime is crime whether it is committed by a teenager or an adult. The only way to control teenage crime rates is to enforce strict laws that make teenagers think twice before breaking the law.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Juveniles Committing Serious Crimes Should Be Punished In The Same Way As Adults
- Band 7 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Teenage Offenders Should Be Treated In The Same As Adult Criminals | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are getting into crime because of the lack of emotional support from parents and teachers
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Rising Crime Rates
- By Punishing Murderers With The Death Penalty, Society Is Also Guilty Of Committing Murder | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample