Some people think that men are naturally more competitive than women. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
People often compare the abilities of men and women and claim that women are not as competitive as men. I do not agree with this opinion. In my opinion, women are just as competitive as men and they have proved their mettle in almost all spheres.
At school, girl students routinely outperform boy students. If they were not competitive, they would not be able to achieve this. In various competitive examinations also girls perform as well as boys. If we compare a female doctor or a female scientist with their male counterparts we can see that in terms of skills they are on a par with each other.
Women have already proved that they can do any job. They now work in almost every field. They even work in aviation and defence. Traditionally, these jobs were thought to be suitable for only men. Even in the conservative Arabian countries, women are now allowed to join armed forces. This is a clear indication that women are capable of doing justice to whatever role they perform. Women are also showing exceptional managerial skills. For instance, many multinational companies are successfully managed by women. Women have also proved that they can make excellent leaders. In countries like the United Kingdom, Germany and Bangladesh women are at the top political positions. Some of the most loved and remembered politicians in history are actually women. Obviously, women are not inferior to men in any field.
Yet, a question may arise why there are not many women in research, politics or business. In my opinion, this is not because they are not competitive. Women have certain biological and psychological duties that only they can perform. Giving birth and raising children are just some of them. Because of these reasons, many women quit their jobs and that probably explains why we do not see a lot of female politicians or business tycoons. In order to establish themselves in such fields women have to dedicate their life to their career. Unlike men, this is not always possible for a woman because her other responsibilities as a daughter, wife and mother stand in the way of her career goals. However, just because women are quitting their jobs to start a family and raise kids, it does not mean that they are less competitive than men.
In conclusion, after analysing all aspects of the given situation, it is not hard to see that women are just as capable and competent as men. If there are fewer female achievers than male achievers, that is because women tend to sacrifice their career for the sake of their family.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- IELTS essay: Certain jobs are more suitable for men than women
- Some Think That The Government Should Allow Women To Join The Armed Forces | Band 6.5 IELTS Essay
- Band 8 report about employment figures among men and women
- IELTS essay sample | Should women join armed forces?
- In Some Countries, Men And Women Are Having Babies Late In Life | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- There Is Far More Attention On Men’s Sports Than Women’s Sport | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Average Life Expectancy Is Increasing For Both Men And Women | Is This A Positive Development
- Some People Believe That Competitive Sports Can Cause Conflicts Between Nations | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Some managerial positions should be reserved for female employees
- Over The Last Few Decades Media Has Promoted The Image Of Young Thin Women As Being Ideal | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample