Some People Think That Cultural Traditions Will Be Destroyed When They Are Used As Money Making Machines Aimed At Tourists | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that cultural traditions will be destroyed when they are used as money-making machines aimed at tourists. Others believe it is the only way to save such traditions in the world today. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Traditional cultural symbols are increasingly being used to boost local tourism. Some people support this move as they believe that their local cultures can be perpetuated in this way; however, other people argue that making money from cultural traditions will eventually destroy their indigenous culture. In my opinion, culture based tourism protects rather than destroy traditional cultures and values.
Integrating traditional cultural aspects with local tourism provides greater exposure to these cultures. To be specific, by showcasing indigenous activities, handcrafts and artworks in front of international travellers, local residents are actually putting their own cultures under the spotlight of the whole world. This will help spread their culture all over the world and more and more people will be interested in visiting those holiday destinations which are famous for the exotic cultural experiences they provide. This will not only boost local culture and traditions but also help local artists and artisan earn a better livelihood. For example, this is a great way to promote local art and dance forms that may be losing popularity among the native audience.
On the other hand, over exploitation of cultural traditions for the sake of tourism may inevitably cause issues. If the local culture is coarsely adapted to suit the purpose of tourism, the tourist experience is compromised and this may actually show the culture in a bad light. For example, when I was travelling in Yunnan Province in the Southwest China, I took part in a culture experience tour so as to know more about the local culture. However, the tour was poorly designed and all participants were made to buy local handicrafts. It left a negative impression on me and I will not recommend this place to any of my friends. In other words, for many destinations, the merging / amalgamation of culture and tourism is doing more harm than good.
In conclusion, there is no harm in using culture to promote tourism. It not only enhances the reputation of the country but also provides a livelihood to local artists. However, it is essential to do this in an aesthetical manner so that the effect is not counter-productive.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample | Visitors should follow local customs and traditions
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Tourism Should Be Banned In Some Areas To Protect Culture
- Cultures And Traditions Change From Generation To Generation | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- International Tourists Creates More Conflicts Than Understanding | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- International Tourism Creates Tension Rather Than Understanding Between People From Different Cultures | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | People Spend A Lot Of Money On Tickets Of Sports and Cultural Events
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Foreign visitors should pay more than local visitors for cultural and historical attraction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Countries Are Becoming More And More Similar | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Some People Think International Tourism Is Bad for Their Country