Punishment Is Necessary To Help Children Learn The Difference Between Right And Wrong | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
It is important for children to learn the difference between right and wrong at an early age. Punishment is necessary to help them learn this distinction.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? What sort of punishment should parents and teachers be allowed to use to teach good behaviour to children?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Children often commit acts that are cruel or immoral but they do not always realize that what they have done is wrong or unacceptable. Some people argue that punishing children is the best way to make them realize the distinction between right and wrong. While I am not an advocate of harsh forms of punishment, in my opinion, some children certainly need some forms of punishment to learn to behave.
It is important for children to realize their mistakes; otherwise, they will grow up into adults who pose a threat to the wellbeing of the society. On the other hand, if they are taught the difference between right and wrong from an early age, they are more likely to become conscientious adults who care for others.
Simply asking children to behave well or do good does not always help. While some children might listen to advice, there are many others who need a deterrent. For example, in Shanghai, I often find children abusing their pets. Their parents explain to them that it is wrong again and again. However, some children still do not mend their ways and think it is fun to be cruel to animals. In such situations, it is essential to give them some punishment so that they do not repeat the offending behaviour. When I say punishment I am not talking about corporal punishment like hitting or smacking. Parents must definitely refrain themselves from handing out such punishment to children. Instead, they can choose not to allow children to play with their favourite toy or make them sit alone until they want to behave well. This kind of punishment can help young children realize the consequence of doing the wrong thing and they will think twice before committing the same mistake again.
To draw things to a close, teaching children to learn the difference between right and right will help them to become good citizens in the future and thus lead to a decrease in the crime rate. Hence, in my opinion, parents and teachers should be allowed to use some gentle punishments to help children behave well.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Punishment Is Necessary To Help Children Learn The Difference Between Right And Wrong | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 essay sample | Punishment is necessary to help children learn the difference between right and wrong
- Punishment Is Necessary To Help Children Learn The Distinction Between Right And Wrong | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is Important For Children To Learn The Difference Between Right And Wrong | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is Important For Children To Learn The Difference Between Right And Wrong From An Early Age | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Punishment Is Necessary For Children To Learn The Distinction Between Right And Wrong | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Is Smacking Children The Best Form Of Discipline?
- Parents Should Be Held Legally Responsible For Their Children’s Acts | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Children Learn By Observing And Copying the Behaviour of Adults