Nowadays, There Is A Trend That Reports Of Media Focus On Problems And Emergencies Rather Than Positive Development | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Nowadays, there is a trend that reports of media focus on problems and emergencies rather than positive development. Some people think it is harmful to individuals and to society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
These days, media give excessive coverage to negative news and overlook the positive aspects of the world. Some people opine that this emphasis on negativity has an adverse impact on people and the society. I agree with this view to some extent. Negative news cannot be ignored. It certainly deserves media attention; meanwhile good news should also get adequate coverage.
Media houses give too much importance to stories of crime, violence and other problems because they have a shock value. They easily capture the attention of the reader or the viewer. Since media is constantly striving to attract more eyeballs, they highlight these stories. Unfortunately, when people hear only about bad things happening around them, they develop a pessimistic attitude towards life. They develop trust issues and begin to feel unsafe even inside their homes. They lose faith in their governments and start thinking that they are doomed. This is bad because the world really is not such a bad place.
On the other hand, media cannot overlook bad news. Media is the voice of the public and as such it is their duty to highlight the problems plaguing the society. Only then will the authorities wake up and do something to resolve the issues. Also, by reporting crimes and other negative stories, media can urge people to take adequate safety precautions. Meanwhile, positive news should get adequate attention. It is important for newspapers and televisions channels to highlight stories of courage, fortitude, ambition, perseverance and achievements. Such stories motivate people and encourage them to strive hard to achieve their goals.
To conclude, media should give adequate attention to both positive and negative stories. People should be aware of the happenings around them whether they are good or bad.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Media Has A Big Role To Play In The Spreading Of Any News | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Media coverage of celebrities is affecting the development of children | IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample: Should media give more importance to good stories?
- IELTS essay sample | Should government ask media to stop reporting violence?
- IELTS essay sample | Media is paying too much attention to famous people
- Positive And Negative Effects Of Technology Through Mass Media | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That News And Media Are Affecting Our Lives In A Positive Way | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: People are living longer. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- Band 7 Essay Sample | News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers.