IELTS essay: Should new employees be promoted to higher positions?
Some people think that only staff who worked in a company for a long time should be promoted to higher positions. Do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and examples.
Many organizations, especially those operating in the IT sector, often promote new employees to higher positions provided that they have the skills and expertise. Some people feel that this is not a good idea. In their opinion, only those employees who have stayed with the company for a long time should be promoted to higher positions. I don’t agree with this view.
Experience matters. However, one does not have to work at the same company for several years to gain experience. Experience that one gains by working at other companies is equally relevant. IT companies understand this better than anybody else. In the IT sector poaching is rampant. Companies are vying with one another to attract and retain the best talent. This often involves luring top level executives of a rival company with better pay packets and higher job profiles. This arrangement hasn’t hurt the prospects of these companies in any way. So, I feel that there is no harm in promoting new employees to higher positions if they have experience in the sector.
Perhaps the biggest argument in favor of promoting people who have been with the company for a long time is their loyalty. People tend to be loyal to the company they have worked with for several years. They are also more likely to stick with that organization in the future. While this sounds logical, I don’t think that a company should only promote their old employees to higher positions. Actually, if they have such a policy in place, they will find it rather difficult to attract the best people in the industry.
To conclude, organizations that want to attract the best people should be willing to promote their new employees as well. Previous working experience with the company may be important in some cases, but this is not always required for promotion.
- IELTS essay: Are younger employees more valuable than older employees?
- Young employees are more valuable than old employees | Band 7 essay samples
- Band 7 essay sample: Decisions should be made by managers and not employees
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample: Employees should not be asked to work overtime
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments fund higher education?
- Band 8 essay sample: Is salary more important than the quality of the workplace?
- IELTS letter: thank-you letter to ex-employer
- Vary your vocabulary and sentence structures to get a higher band score
- IELTS writing test in India: Should people plan for their retirement?