How To Avoid Redundancy In Writing?
A sentence contains a redundancy when it has two or more words, phrases or clauses expressing the same idea. As only one of these words or phrases is required, the other(s) should be removed. Here are a few tips to eliminate redundancy from your writing.
Also, as well, too, furthermore, in addition, moreover
All of these words mean addition or continuation. Read the sentences given below. They all contain redundancies.
- The Prime Minster is unwilling to admit his mistake. Moreover, he is also incapable of running the country.
- The refugees are short of food. In addition, they need medical supplies as well.
Since moreover and also have similar meanings, only one of them is necessary in the first sentence. In the second sentence, you can use either in addition or as well: you can’t use them both.
- Moreover, he is incapable of running the country. OR He is also incapable of running the country.
- In addition they need medical supplies.
- They need medical supplies as well.
Therefore, as a result, because, since, so and due to
All of these words are used to explain cause and effect or reason. And hence using two or more of these words in the same clause will lead to redundancy.
The proposed airport will lead to the urbanization of the region. Therefore, because of that, it is in the interest of the people residing in the area.
Use either therefore or because of that.
Therefore it is in the interest of the people residing in the area. OR Because of that it is in the interest of the people residing in the area.
In my opinion, it is my belief that.., I feel that..
All of these phrases are used to introduce your opinion. It is therefore wrong to use more than one of them in the same sequence. Study the sentence given below. It contains a redundancy.
In my opinion, I feel that the proposed international airport is in the interest of the people residing in and around the area.
The above sentence should be rewritten as:
In my opinion, the proposed international airport is in…
I feel that the proposed international airport is in…
- Why it is important to avoid obscure words from your writing
- How to avoid repetition of words and phrases
- How to avoid sentence fragments from your essay?
- How to avoid sentence fragments
- IELTS | Common Mistakes To Avoid
- How to avoid run-on sentences?
- How to score well in the writing module
- Small Businesses Should Avoid Recruiting Young Women Who Do Not Have Their Own Family In Order To Avoid Paying Maternity Leave | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS writing tips: sentence connectors
- How to avoid repetition?