Band 8.5 essay sample | Only staff who worked in a company for a long time should be given promotion
Some people think that only staff who worked in a company for a long time should be promoted to higher positions. Do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and examples.
Promotions help boost the morale of employees. Higher positions earn higher salaries and hence everyone wants to be promoted. Some people feel that only those employees who have worked for an organization for several years should be given promotion. I don’t agree with this view. In my opinion, the time spent in an organization should be just one of the criteria for determining an employee’s eligibility for promotion.
Employers often believe that employees who have spent a lot of years in an organization are more likely to be loyal to it. They tend to reward this loyalty with promotions and rises. I am not against promoting senior employees. However, in my opinion, new hires too should be promoted if they have the skills and qualifications.
Just because someone has spent ten or twenty years in an organization, it does not mean that they are the most competent. Sometimes new employees deliver better performance than senior employees because they possess more skills and qualifications. What’s more, a ‘new employee’ may have years of experience in another organization.
If competent employees are denied promotion because they don’t have years of experience in the organization, it will affect their morale. Worse, it may encourage them to quit and join another company that honours talent. Attrition will only hurt the interests of an organization.
To conclude, in my opinion, employers should consider a variety of factors while determining an employee’s eligibility for promotion. This includes their qualifications, special skills and domain expertise. Promotions and rises encourage employees to work harder. If they are denied promotion in spite of their hard work and eligibility, they might just quit.
- IELTS essay: Should new employees be promoted to higher positions?
- IELTS essay: Are younger employees more valuable than older employees?
- IELTS essay sample | Young managers are better than older managers. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample | Are social skills becoming more important than academic skills?
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- Band 7 essay sample: Decisions should be made by managers and not employees
- IELTS essay: Should retirement age be increased?
- IELTS speaking part 2: Talk about a difficult experience
- Band 7 essay sample | Should employees be part of decision making?
- Band 8 essay sample | Should employees share personal information with the employer?