There Has Been A Dramatic Growth In The Number Of People Studying At Universities | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
There has been a dramatic growth in the number of people studying at universities in the last few decades. While some people see this as a positive trend which raises the general level of education within the community, others fear that it is lowering the quality of education.What are the advantages and disadvantages of the increase in student numbers at university?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Education plays a crucial role in the development of a country and its people. Of late, there is a sharp rise in the number of youngsters studying at university. While some people argue that it is a positive trend because it raises the educational standard of the general populace, others opine that it could dilute the quality of education. In my opinion, when more and more students go to university, it is definitely a positive development; however, it does have some downsides.
The most significant benefit of this development is that it produces highly educated and skilled workforce. Graduates and postgraduates learn crucial job skills at university and once they graduate, they are ready to immediately join the workforce. Skilled workers enhance the productivity of the organisation they work for and earn good remuneration. They also contribute to the development of the country by paying taxes. In addition, an educated populace is more aware of their rights and responsibilities and makes valuable contributions to their country.
On the downside, when too many youngsters join universities, the quality of education may suffer. One of the main causes of this problem is the resource crunch. University education is expensive and many universities lack the right infrastructure or adequate resources to cater to the needs of all students that join them. As a result, they will be forced to increase the strength of classes which in turn will prevent students from getting adequate individual attention. Underequipped laboratories and libraries also reduce the quality of education. Unemployment is another issue that could arise when there is an increase in the number of graduates. If the governments or industries do not create enough job opportunities then there could be an issue of unemployment and people may start looking for other options like migration to rich countries for work. Unemployment may even increase the crime rate in the society.
To conclude, when more students receive university education, it is usually a positive development; however, the government should closely monitor the functioning of universities and ensure that they have sufficient resources to cater to the needs of the growing number of students. Otherwise, the quality of education may suffer.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is A Sharp Increase In The Number Of People Studying At University
- University Students Are Increasingly Studying Abroad As Part Of Their Studies | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Economic growth is beneficial for people and societies | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- University Students Are Increasingly Studying Abroad | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Universities Should Only Teach Science And Technology
- It is becoming popular to take a year off before joining universities | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Universities Should Accept Equal Number Of Male And Female Students In Each Subject | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People Should Have University Education
- IELTS essay sample | Economic growth is the measure of a nation’s development
- Band 9 IELTS essay about growing unemployment