Thanks To Globalization Societies Are Becoming More And More Alike | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Thanks to globalization societies are becoming more and more alike. Some people fear that globalization will inevitably lead to the total loss of cultural identity. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic? Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
There is no denying the fact that societies are becoming more and more alike. People all over the world now eat the same kind of food, watch the same TV shows and wear the same kind of clothes. Some people think that this will lead to the demise of cultural identities. I do not agree with this view.
Globalization has several benefits. While globalization can be blamed for making people wear the same kind of clothes and eat the same kind of food, it is also responsible for creating more job opportunities and wealth. It has considerably reduced poverty in the undeveloped world. Globalization has also led to better understanding among countries. When people from across the world get to know each other, it is good for global harmony.
As for the loss of cultural identities, well, you cannot understand the culture of a society by looking at the way its people look or dress. The foundation of any culture is its value system which is passed from one generation to the next. In my opinion it is these values that distinguish an Indian from an American. They might wear the same kind of clothes or even speak the same language, but their value systems are going to be different in many aspects. For example, family ties are extremely important for an Indian. Even after sons and daughters get married it is quite common for them to continue to stay with their parents. Indians are also taught to obey and respect their parents. Although I am not all that familiar with the American culture, I think there the emphasis is on self-reliance. In my opinion, these traits and beliefs are the cultural identity of a person and a society. It is unaffected by the way they look or talk.
To summarize, I do not think that globalization will lead to the total loss of cultural identity. It might make people speak the same language or look the same, but it will have no real impact on deep seated cultural values.
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages Of Globalization
- Band 9 essay sample | Everyone now wears the same kinds of clothes and eats the same food. Is this a positive trend?
- IELTS essay about people wearing clothes of the same kind
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- Culture Is Similar Around The World | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 essay sample | Travelers should follow local customs
- IELTS essay sample: Should uniform be banned?
- Some People Say It Is Possible To Tell A Lot About A Person’s Character From Their Choice Of Clothes | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Now people wear similar clothes all around the world | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | We Can Tell A Lot About A Person’s Character From Their Choice Of Clothes