Governments In Many Countries Have Recently Introduced Special Taxes On Foods And Beverages With High Levels Of Sugar | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Governments in many countries have recently introduced special taxes on foods and beverages with high levels of sugar. Some think these taxes are a good idea while others disagree. Discuss both views and give you own opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Across the world, many nations have implemented special taxes on foods and beverages with high sugar levels. While some people support this move, others oppose. In my opinion, imposing tax on sugary foods and drinks is a good idea as it improves public health and reduces the burden on public health care systems.
On the one hand, many people support the special taxes on food items containing high levels of sugar mainly because this measure helps to maintain good health. In other words, the imposition of higher taxes reduces the consumption of sugary foods and beverages by increasing their price. As a result, the fat levels will be in control for most of the individuals. These changes in food habits minimize / reduce the risks of heart problems and other fat-related diseases. So, obviously, this measure is in public interest.
On the other hand, some people opine that the government has no business interfering with people’s food choices. After all, adults are capable of choosing what is right and wrong for them. Hence, in their opinion, if the government deliberately increases tax on sugary foods with the sole objective of making them unaffordable to people, it violates people’s rights. However, in my opinion, this argument does not hold much water because it is a well-known fact that sugary foods lead to health problems in people and as the government spends the most of public health, it has the right to control the consumption of unhealthy foods. A lot of people even in developed countries depend entirely on public healthcare programs and hence if they eat whatever they want and end up in hospitals, it does not benefit anyone.
In conclusion, I fully support the argument that the government should increase tax on sugary drinks and foods with the objective of reducing their consumption. These foods are known to cause health problems in people and as such their consumption should be controlled.
Want to improve your English Grammar? Get my book and avoid making the common mistakes that IELTS test takers usually make.
- Governments In Many Countries Have Recently Introduced Special Taxes On Foods And Beverages With High Levels Of Sugar | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Governments In Many Countries Have Recently Introduced Special Taxes On Sugary Foods And Beverages | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Over Sugar Consumption Is Unhealthy. Some People Think That Governments Should Take Responsibility To Control It | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are consuming too many sugary drinks
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Consumption of Fast Foods
- Band 9 Essay About Increasing Tax On Fast Foods
- Band 9 essay sample | Tax on fast foods should be increased
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods
- In Some Countries The Average Weight Of People Is Increasing And Their Levels of Fitness Are Decreasing | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample