Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
Some people believe that free housing should be provided by the government for under-privileged and people who can’t afford to buy a house. To what extent do you agree and disagree with the statement? Give examples based on your own experience.
Global economy may have developed considerably over the last few decades; however, millions of people still do not have homes. This problem is particularly worse in developing and undeveloped countries. Some people argue that the government should take care of this situation by providing free housing to the poor. That demand certainly sounds logical; however, I don’t think that it is the best solution.
To start with, the government can’t provide free housing to all poor people. Any such attempt will put too much pressure on the public exchequer. The government already has a lot of other things to take care of. For example, in India, the government provides free education and free medical care through government schools and hospitals. Many government colleges and universities even provide higher education free of cost. There are also several government schemes for the rehabilitation of slum dwellers in urban areas. In the tribal areas, too, the government provides free housing to the homeless.
Having said that, providing free homes to all poor people in the country does not seem possible. A better solution is to make homes more affordable. If homes are unaffordable, that is because of the exorbitant land prices. The government can make homes less expensive by allotting government land at concessional rates and waiving taxes on the homes built on this land. Low cost housing projects can be launched all over the country. Only basic amenities should be provided in these homes to make them more affordable.
To conclude, although I do not think that government should provide free housing to all homeless people in the country, I am in favour of the government launching low cost housing projects. The government should also consider giving free land to the landless. These initiatives will certainly make homes more affordable and solve the problems of the poor to a great extent.
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- IELTS Sample Essay: Some people think that it is our moral duty to help the poor.
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- IELTS sample essay: should governments provide financial assistance to writers?
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- IELTS essay: Restoration of old buildings is expensive
- Band 9 essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of longevity