Assent and Ascent | IELTS vocabulary
Don’t confuse assent and ascent. An assent is an act or gesture of agreement or permission.
- You may leave the hospital only with the doctor’s assent.
Assent can also be a verb.
- Since the majority of members assented to our views, we decided to go ahead.
- You never assent to my views on anything.
An ascent, of course, is an upward climb or movement.
- The road made a sharp ascent to the top of the hill.
- His ascent from a production boy to a superstar took only five years.