More And More People Are Becoming Seriously Overweight | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
More and more people are becoming seriously overweight. Some people say that increasing the price of fattening foods will solve this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
In many countries around the world, a large number of people are getting obese. It is argued by some people that raising the price of high-fat food will reduce its consumption and thereby people’s overweight issue will be addressed. I disagree with the opinion because some people are addicted to fast food which contains high amount of fat and simply increasing the price will not cut down their fat intake. There are some other additional reasons for my view which will be stated in this essay.
The most compelling reason for holding my view is that many youngsters are not ready to avoid ready-made food and its unique taste just because of a rise in price. Therefore, they continue to consume high-fat food items and ignore their health problems. For instance, McDonald’s outlets around the world deliver food which contains enormous amount of saturated fat. However, a study found that most people prefer McDonald food over healthy alternatives because of its distinctive taste. Thus, people are ready to buy those foods even for a higher price.
Secondly, high-fat foods are not the only reason for obesity among people. Nowadays, a large number of people are leading a sedentary lifestyle which is considered as one of the major reasons for obesity. Therefore, physical exercise plays a vital role in maintaining a healthy body. Due to this reason, increasing the price of fatty foods does not solely address the overweight problem.
In conclusion, I totally disagree with the opinion that increasing the price of fattening food is the ideal solution to control overweight of people. People are ready to pay higher price for foods which are easily available and having pleasant taste even if the fat content is higher. In addition, I believe that encouraging / promoting physical exercise is more crucial for maintaining body weight than regulating fatty food.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- The Percentage Of Overweight Children In Western Society Has Increased By Almost 20% | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Obesity Is Increasing Among Children
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Health problems caused by obesity and possible solutions
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods
- Band 8 IELTS essay sample | The growing number of overweight people is putting a strain on the health care system. Some people think that the best way to deal with this problem is to introduce more physical education lessons in school curriculum
- In Some Countries An Increasing Number Of People Are Suffering From Health Problems As A Result Of Eating Too Much Fast Food | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay About Increasing Tax On Fast Foods
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- Some People Think That A Good Diet And Exercise Are Not Necessary For A Long Life | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Most People Prefer To Eat Ready To Eat Food Than Home-Made Food | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample