IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
Some people think that computer games are bad for children, while others believe that they are useful. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of computer games and give your own opinion.
Computer games are addictive. That is the main reason children play them for hours on end. There are several disadvantages to spending a lot of time in front of the computer.
Computer games merely provide entertainment. Children who are addicted to computer games tend to have poor grades because they do not get enough time to focus on their studies. Also, they have reduced social skills. They are constantly glued to their screens and show hardly any interest in interacting with their family members or peers. This can lead to social isolation and serious behavioural problems.
Some popular computer games glorify violence and crime. Children who grow up playing these games may get into anti-social activities. Even if they don’t become criminals in the future, they may still exhibit a disregard for values.
Computer games also cause vision problems in children. Children are not supposed to stare at the computer screen for hours on end. If they do, they will develop serious eye strain which may also affect their studies.
On the bright side, computer games make children competitive. Games that require them to play against virtual or real opponents living in another part of the world improve their concentration and ability to take decisions quickly. These are definitely positive aspects but a child does not have to play computer games to develop these skills.
To conclude, after analysing the advantages and disadvantages of playing computer games it is not hard to see that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. In my opinion, parents should restrict the amount of time their children spend in front of the computers. That said, there is no harm in playing a game or two every now and then, but addiction is definitely a problem.
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of freelancing
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of being a celebrity
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- IELTS essay: Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different mediums for car advertisements
- IELTS Essay: Is work-life balance necessary?
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- Band 9 essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of longevity