Young People Have Different Views And Attitudes Than Their Parents | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Young people have different ideas and attitudes than their parents and grandparents. What are the differences and what problem it may cause?
Here is a band 9 IELTS Essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Generation gap is nothing new and it is not uncommon for children to have radically different views from their parents and grandparents on many aspects of life. Most of the times, these differences pertain to areas such as relationships, career and health and sometimes they do cause problems.
To begin with, young people have a rather carefree and casual attitude towards marriage and relationships. They are more self-centred and insist on having their space in a relationship. Unfortunately, this leads to more divorces and broken homes. Old people, on the other hand, consider marriage as a sacred institution. It hurts them when their children get into casual relationships for fun. In many cases, parents also disapprove of their children’s career choices. Every parent wants their children to have a safe and secure source of income. Young people, on the other hand, do not mind taking risks. Many of them want to be their own boss and start up. Unfortunately, parents often discourage the entrepreneurial ambitions of their children because they believe that launching one’s own venture is risky. Young people and their parents also tend to differ on matters concerning health. While the older generation was quite conscious about health, youngsters tend to take it for granted.
While it is quite common and normal for parents and children to have different opinions on many things, sometimes these differences do cause problems. For example, young people who are not serious about relationships are unlikely to have a stable family life and their children are the worst affected by this. Studies have shown that children coming from dysfunctional families are more likely to get into anti-social activities. Needless to say, a stable family is the fundamental unit of a healthy society and it is important for young people to give due importance to their relationships just like their parents do. Young people should also learn something from their parents about the importance of eating well and staying healthy. As for career choices, in my opinion, it is important for parents to trust their children and their vision.
To conclude, it is quite normal for young people and their parents to have different views and opinions on many matters. Sometimes this does cause problems and in such situations, it is better for young people to listen to the sage advice of their parents.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Young People’s Ideas And Attitudes Are Different From Those Of Their Parents | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People’s Attitudes Are Different From Those Of Old People
- Some People Think That The Government Should Pay One Of The Parents Of Very Young Children To Stay At Home | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- Some People Think That Young People Should Choose Their Professions Themselves | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say That With The Help Of Parenting And Child Development Courses Parents Can Improve The Life Of Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say Parents Have The Most Significant Influence In A Child’s Development
- Some People Think Young People Should Choose Their Professions Themselves | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS practice: What happens when both parents work?
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?