Will English Remain A Global Language Despite Globalisation? | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Do you think English will remain to be a global language despite globalisation?
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic? Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Throughout the world, English is considered as a link language that enables speakers of different mother tongues to communicate with one another. Some people argue that in this age of globalization, English may get replaced by another prominent language. I do not agree with this view. In my opinion, instead of shaking the prominence of English as a global language, globalization will only reinforce it.
English has more speakers than any other language in the world. Actually, the majority of them speak English as a second language. This is a clear indication of its popularity outside of English speaking countries like the USA, the UK and Australia. No other language enjoys this kind of reach.
Of course, languages like Mandarin and Hindi are gaining prominence because many businesses are moving to China and India. This, however, does not mean that Mandarin or Hindi will replace English. While it is true that these languages have a considerable number of speakers within their countries, they are almost never used outside. This is not the case with English.
Another factor that bolsters the popularity of English is the fact that much of the scientific literature is written in English. In other words, anyone who wants to stay abreast of the developments in science and technology need to know English. In addition, the vast majority of websites on the internet are in English. That means people who have a working knowledge of English have access to an endless pool of information. That explains why even countries like China and Japan have started teaching English in schools.
To conclude, English is the language of opportunity and communication. As trade and commerce increase between countries, other languages may also gain more speakers. However, the argument that they will replace English as the language of communication does not hold water in view of the points mentioned above.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Useless To Learn Another Foreign Language Before English
- Band 8 Sample About The Advantages And Disadvantages Of English As A Global Language
- Band 8 essay sample | Advantages of English as a global language
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- Languages With Most Native And Non-Native Speakers | Band 8 Task 1 Academic IELTS Report
- Scientists predict that all people will choose to talk the same global language in the future | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample | Should English be taught at schools?
- Why Is English An Important International Language | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Travelling To An English Speaking Country Is The Only Way To Learn English | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Why Is English Such An Important Language?