There Is An Increase In The Number Of Ads Targeting Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
There is an increasing amount of advertising directed at children, which encourages them to buy goods such as toys and snacks. Many parents are worried that these advertisements put too much pressure on children while some advertisers claim that they provide useful information to children. Discuss both the views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is irrefutable that advertisements have become part of our day to day lives. Some people claim that these ads share beneficial information whilst most of the parents are worried that their children are being wrongly influenced by ads. In my opinion, ads targeting kids have both positive and negative impact on them.
To begin with, parental concern about ads is justified. Young children lack the ability to make wise decisions as to what they really want. They are attracted to the colourful pictures in the advertisement and swayed by misleading information. So, they pressurize their parents to buy those things. The advertisements of fast foods are particularly bad for children.
Children cannot understand the difference between healthy food and fast food. They are attracted to the junk foods and these are very detrimental for their health. Furthermore, some ads show dangerous stunts. Although, it is clearly mentioned that the children should not imitate those stunts, they hardly read that part and try to perform those stunts and get hurt. For example, when I was a kid, I jumped from one building to the other after seeing the Thumps Up ad and ended up with a leg fracture.
On the other hand, advertisements provide necessary information to the children. For instance, the advert of Colgate toothpaste, which tells us to brush our teeth twice daily, is good for children. Then there are some ads about education like Byju’s learning application, which help children to improve their academic score and learn their subjects with better illustrations. Moreover, some advertisements also highlight the importance of saving water and electricity, keeping our surroundings clean and planting trees. Children are motivated by these ads and try to follow them.
To conclude, it is true that some ads have a detrimental effect on children, but at the same time we cannot deny the fact that there are also many advertisements that enlighten children by providing a lot of useful information.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comment for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- IELTS essay about unhealthy eating habits in children
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Obesity Is Increasing Among Children
- Some Methods Used In Advertising Are Unethical | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people blame the government for the increase in childhood obesity while others think it is the parents’ fault.
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Consumption of Fast Foods
- Band 9 essay sample about increasing tax on food items
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods