The Number Of People Interested In Cosmetic Surgery Is Increasing In Order To Improve Their Physical Appearance | Positive Or Negative Development IELTS Essay
The number of people interested in cosmetic surgery is increasing in order to improve their physical appearance. Why do people do operations to change the way they look? Do you think it is a positive or negative development?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Today, many people undergo surgery to enhance their physical appearance. This is mainly because they are not confident of their looks. They are also misled by the media which project unrealistic beauty standards.
There are several reasons / factors which encourage people to undergo cosmetic surgery. First, they lack self-confidence. In other words, people try to change their appearance when they are not confident of themselves. In order to improve their look many people today prefer this kind of surgery to boost their confidence level. Even though these surgical procedures help them to feel confident, they become useless in the long run. This is because people forget that the physical appearance plays only a very small role in social life. So, due to this misconception people focus on their looks instead of their character or personality.
The second main reason is media influence. To elaborate on this, many TV commercials and movies have a fair and good looking person as the hero or heroine. When they see their role model on the big screen with six pack abs and fair skin, people easily get influenced and in order to gain fame and attention, people change their natural look with the help of medical advancement. These are the two main reasons for this kind of approach. In this my opinion, this is a negative development for mainly two reasons. First, these kinds of surgeries can lead to many complications. Sometimes, the end result is not what expected and in this case, it can lead to a great deal of distress. Another, downside of such procedures is that they do not increase a person’s quality of life in the long run. Just looking good is unlikely to make someone happy or successful.
In conclusion, many people are fascinated by cosmetic surgery because they are not confident in their skin. In my opinion, it is a negative development as it does not improve a person’s life in the long run and sometimes, these surgeries could go wrong and kill a person. So, it is better to focus on improving character and personality than going under the knife.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | People Are Living Longer. Is This A Positive Development Or Negative Development?
- Many People Believe That Media Coverage Of Celebrities Has A Negative Effect On Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: People are living longer. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Average Life Expectancy Is Increasing For Both Men And Women | Is This A Positive Development
- Road Transport Is Taking Over The Rail Services As The Main Means Of Transportation | Positive Or Negative Development IELTS Essay
- Using A Computer Every Day Can Have More Negative Than Positive Effects On Children | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 essay sample | Positive and negative effects of living alone
- Some People Say That The Best Way To Improve Public Health Is By Increasing The Number Of Sports Facilities | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say That With The Help Of Parenting And Child Development Courses Parents Can Improve The Life Of Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Order To Be Successful In Sport, Some People Think That You Have To Be Physically Strong | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample