The High Sales Of Popular Consumer Goods Reflect The Power Of Advertising | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Nowadays, we are constantly being bombarded with commercials that tempt us to buy different products and services. It is true to a certain extent that the sales of consumer goods depend upon the amount of money that manufacturers invest in their marketing. Even so, I cannot fully agree with the given argument because in my opinion the majority of purchase decisions are not influenced by advertisements.
Advertising agencies promote their products by using famous people and social influencers in their commercials. Celebrity advertisements convince the buyer that they can achieve a better lifestyle or higher social status by using the advertised products. That is why many branded items such as designer clothes, perfumes and jewelry are high in demand in spite of their ridiculously higher prices compared to their actual value. In addition to this, in case of technology gadgets such as mobile phones, many people do not think twice before buying newer and updated versions in order to stay up to date with the latest technology although the one they own is still functioning well.
On the other hand, not every purchase decision is made under the influence of advertisements. Advertisements serve to inform customers about the goods and the available options in the market. People consider different things such as their budget range, their needs and the quality of the item they are buying before they make a purchase. Best selling products usually have a feature that serves to fulfill the buyer’s requirement. A new mobile phone, for example, may have more advanced technology that makes the user’s life more convenient. Moreover, a brand cannot maintain its popularity and reputation unless its quality lives up to customers’ expectations no matter how prolifically they advertise.
In conclusion, while I believe advertisements sometimes encourage people to buy unnecessary items, most of the best selling products are the ones that meet consumer’s needs, expectations and affordability.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- The Sale Of Popular Consumer Goods Reflect The Power Of Advertising | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | The popularity of consumer goods is a reflection of the power of advertising
- Band 9 essay sample about hand-made and machine-made goods
- Some Methods Used In Advertising Are Unethical | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Ads encourage people to buy things they don’t want
- PTE Academic Essay | Do you think consumers should avoid over packaged products?
- IELTS essay about the positive and negative aspects of advertising
- The free movement of goods across national borders has long been a controversial issue | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Ads Targeting Children Should Not Be Allowed During Prime Time | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Amount Of Goods Transported In the UK | Band 7.5 Academic IELTS Task 1 Report