Task 1 Academic Writing – Pie Chart Exercise 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The chart given below shows the expenditure involving in publishing a magazine. Summarize the information. Write at least 150 words.
The given pie chart shows the different expenses involved in printing a magazine. Six types of expenses are shown in the diagram and they are: editorial content development, printing, promotion, paper, binding and transportation.
While editorial content development is the biggest expense, transportation is the smallest.
When we study the graph, it is not hard to see that the costs associated with content development and printing are the biggest expenses incurred in publishing a magazine. While 30 percent of the total cost goes towards developing editorial content, printing accounts for 24 percent of the total expenditure. Together, they account for more than half of the total expenses a publisher has to incur to bring out a magazine. Promotion costs, too, are significant. At 18 percent, the cost involved in promoting the magazine is the third biggest.
Paper costs are surprisingly low. Only 10 percent of the total expenditure goes towards buying the paper. At 12 percent, binding costs aren’t quite significant. Of all the expenses incurred in printing a magazine, the costs involved in transporting it is the smallest.
- IELTS essay writing task: Are politicians more influential than scientists?
- IELTS Writing: Report 2
- The academic writing tasks
- IELTS writing task 1 (report writing)
- Is it Appropriate to Use Slang Words in Academic Writing?
- IELTS Writing task 1 – letter
- IELTS writing task 1 (letter)
- General writing task 1 (letter) as seen in the UK
- IELTS writing task 2: Do you think that training is necessary to be a good teacher?
- IELTS Writing task 1 in Dubai – letter