Studying History Is A Waste of Time | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that studying history is very important and we must study the past to understand the present. Others say that it is useless and should not be studied at all. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Given below is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of my students. If you need help with IELTS writing, try our writing correction service.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
While some people think that learning history is crucial for understanding the present, others argue that it is a waste of time. This essay supports the idea that people can improve their future by studying past, and it disagrees with people who believe that historical situations are unlikely to be repeated in future.
People who are in support of studying history opine that it provides opportunities to learn from the mistakes. Every nation faced challenges in the past and sometimes wrong decisions taken in those situations resulted in undesirable outcomes. People can learn from these mistakes and take better decisions in case they face similar circumstances again. This essay agrees with this notion, because it can be easily observed that almost every developed country gives significant importance to history, which shows that a willingness to learn from the past mistakes helps in achieving economic and social milestones.
However, many people argue that the historical situations are not comparable / can never be compared to the current scenarios. These people think that world has changed in so many different ways that learning about the history is useless. This essay does not agree with this thinking because history has repeated itself many times. For instance, Pakistan and India suffered huge losses when they fought their first war against each other; however, both countries did not learn from their mistakes, and consequently they were forced to fight several subsequent battles.
In conclusion, nations can control their present and shape their future by learning from the mistakes committed in the history. Although dynamics of the world have changed significantly over the period of time, history tends to repeat itself; therefore, it is always useful to study the past and to anticipate similar situations.
Have you written an essay on this topic? Post it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some people think that studying history is a waste of time while others think that it is essential to learn | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Merits and demerits of researching one’s family history
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More And More People Are Showing An Interest in Finding Out Their Family History
- Some People Think That Watching Movies Is A Waste Of Time | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Consider Planning For The Future To Be A Waste Of Time
- University Students Are Increasingly Studying Abroad | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- In Some Parts Of The World It Is Becoming Popular To Research The History Of One’s Own Family | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample