Some think spending a lot on birthday celebration and weddings is a waste of money | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Some think spending a lot on birthday celebration and weddings is a waste of money. Others think that it is important for young people and society. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
People’s opinions seem to differ on whether spending money lavishly on celebrations and special occasions is a positive trend or a mere wastage of money. While some seem to agree with the argument that it is necessary for the society, I believe that such unmindful spending should rather be avoided.
To begin with, there are myriad reasons to argue that spending loads of money on weddings and other special occasions is quite unnecessary. Firstly, in most of today’s celebrations there is a deliberate show of power and easy money. Such extensive celebrations are no better than pomp shows. Secondly, instead of spending huge amounts of money on any celebration, it is better to save it and later invest it in better ways. For instance, instead of spending lots of money on a child’s first birthday party in a five-star hotel, it is better to save it for his/her higher education. Furthermore, sometimes spending on special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries and housewarming also become a social obligation for many people and they give in to the societal pressure spending their hard-earned money.
On the other hand, people who argue that it is imperative to have grand celebrations opine / insist that it is a way of enjoying life with their family and friends. They feel that such celebrations are part of their customs and traditions. While this may be true to a certain extent, in my opinion, there is no need to spend truck loads of money on celebrations. For example, a birthday party held at home can be as enjoyable as the one held at a five star hotel and yet it costs much less.
To conclude, I feel that unmindful spending on any occasion can be avoided. Instead that money should be saved or used in a better way.
- IELTS Essay: Are public celebrations a waste of money?
- Band 8 Essay Sample | An Apology Letter To A Friend For Not Being Able To Attend His/Her Birthday Pary
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Spending Money On Super Fast Trains Vs. Spending It On Existing Public Transport
- IELTS essay sample | Spending money on preventing illnesses is better than spending it on treating them
- Band 7.5 essay about children spending money instead of saving it
- Band 7 essay sample: People spend a lot of money on celebrations. Is this justified?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Should We Spend Money Or Save It For Future?
- Some people believe that giving a weekly allowance will help children to develop good spending habits. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Letter Sample | A Letter to an Overseas Friend
- Band 9 Essay Sample | People Should Spend Their Money to Enjoy Life