Some People Think That Schools Should Educate Pupils According To Their Academic Ability | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that schools should educate pupils according to their academic ability, and others believe pupils with different abilities should be educated together. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
According to some people, it is better to educate students of different academic caliber together whereas others insist that students should be grouped on the basis of their learning abilities. In my opinion, it is important to teach all students together.
People who argue that there should be separate classes for bright and slow students believe that this segregation improves the performance of both groups. There is certainly a grain of truth in this argument. When all the students in a class are of the same academic caliber, it is easier for teachers to finish the lessons. This is beneficial for academically brilliant students as they do not have to waste their time waiting for other students to catch up. This arrangement can be beneficial for slow learners too. Teachers can devote more time to them and make sure that they have grasped the concepts before moving on to the next lesson. This is not exactly possible if the class has students of different learning capacities. In such situations, teachers will feel compelled to finish lessons faster.
On the other hand, the practice of separating students on the basis of their ability to learn is largely detrimental for their progress. The classroom is a microcosm of the world. Just as there are people of different skills and aptitudes in the real world, there should be children of all abilities in a classroom. In this arrangement, bright students can assist slow learners to pick up the concepts. This benefits both of them because teaching someone is the easiest way to enhance our knowledge. Another advantage of this arrangement is that it promotes a sense of equality among students. If slow learners are grouped together and taught in a separate class, it will make them feel inferior to the bright students. This sense of inferiority will further affect their progress and can have a detrimental effect on their confidence levels. Also, learning ability is just one of the different forms of intelligence. Just because a student is weak in physics or mathematics, it does not mean that they are unintelligent. They may be talented in other areas and as such their poor scores in a few subjects is no reason to put them in another class.
In conclusion, it is better to group students of different abilities together. It boosts their confidence levels and prepares them better for the future.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students be separated on the basis of their academic performance?
- Some People Think That It Is Better To Educate Boys And Girls In Separate Schools | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Students should be separated according to their academic skills
- Home Schooling Is Becoming Popular As More Parents Are Choosing To Educate Their Children In This Way | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Schools Have To Be More Entertaining, While Others Think That Their Sole Purpose Is To Educate | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Everybody should be allowed admission to university study programs regardless of their academic ability | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some Children Have A Natural Ability To Grasp Foreign Languages And For That Reason It Should Not Be A Mandatory Subject In The Academic Curriculum | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Someone Believes That Schools Should Put Students Of Different Ages Into The Same Class | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Educational Success Depends On A Good Teacher | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample