Some people like to live alone in some countries. What are the reasons? | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people like to live alone in some countries. What are the reasons? Is it a positive or negative trend?
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Send me your writing samples and get them corrected.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Over the last few decades there has been an increase in the number of people who prefer to live alone. There are several reasons behind this trend and in my opinion, it is largely negative.
People are living alone because they want to live a life free of restrictions. They are fiercely independent and do not want to be answerable to anyone. Consequently they prefer to live alone. We are now living in the age of individualism. It is all about ‘me and my space’. Even movies and media promote this attitude to life. Also as nations become wealthier, there is an increase in per capita income as well. In the developed world, most people are financially independent. Consequently, they do not need anyone to support them. Many of them prefer to live alone because they believe that that lifestyle gives them the freedom to do whatever they want.
Unfortunately, living alone benefits neither the individual nor the society. Human beings are social animals. We thrive in the company of our family and friends. Also, contrary to what many people believe, absolute freedom is actually a bad idea. We need some limits and restrictions to lead a civilized and productive life. Also, living alone is fun only when a person is in the pink of health. When they fall ill or when they get into some problem, they need someone to help them tide over the crisis. Since finding help in such crucial situation is difficult for loners, many of them develop psychological problems like depression. This issue is particularly rampant in the western world where most of the loners live.
To conclude, financial independence and the need for total freedom are the reasons that encourage many people to live alone. However, this trend will have a negative effect on the emotional well-being of an individual in the long term.
- Band 9 essay sample: Is living alone a positive development?
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- Band 7 essay sample | Positive and negative effects of living alone
- Most people accept that we now live in a globalised world but not everyone agrees this is beneficial | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample | Advantages and disadvantages of living alone
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Apartments are better than houses
- Band 9 essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of longevity
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- IELTS essay about the reasons for learning a foreign language