Some People Believe That The Best Way Of Learning About Life Is By Listening To The Advice Of Family And Friends | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that the best way of learning about life is by listening to the advice of family and friends. Other people believe that the best way of learning about life is through personal experience. Compare the advantages of these two different ways of learning about life. Which do you think is preferable? Use specific examples to support your preference.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
The journey of life is full of ups and downs. Some people think that to learn about life we should listen to friends and family while other people argue that we should learn from our personal experiences. In the essay I will compare the advantages of both ways of learning about life.
It is evident that family and friends are always present as a helping hand in any critical situation. They guide us by sharing their experiences with us and help us get out of the difficult situation we are confronting. Our parents and grandparents have a lot more experience than us and they may have already confronted the challenges that we are facing at the moment. Hence, it certainly makes sense to listen to us. Seniors are also a lot more patient and can offer relationship advice as well.
Even so, in my opinion, it is better to learn from our own experience. When we learn through experience, we are unlikely to forget the lesson. Also, no one can understand our situation better than us. Likewise, no one, not even our parents, can understand our needs and wants better than us. When we listen to them and do what they tell us to do, we might end up making decisions that we might regret later. To avoid such situations, it is always better to listen to our inner voice and learn from our own experience. For example, last year I faced some problems at the workplace. My parents advised me to hang in there as they thought the situation would get better. However, deep within my heart, I knew that it was time to move out. To improve my chances of finding a better job elsewhere, I acquired some new skills. Now I have a much better job and this experience also made me a stronger. Of course, this does not mean that we should stop listening to others. We should, but we must never blindly follow others as their situation can be quite different from ours. Hence, learning from doing is definitely a better option.
To conclude, there are certainly some benefits to learning from other people’s experiences and opinions. However, in my opinion, it is better to learn from our own experience as knowledge gained from experience will never be forgotten.
- Some People Claim That Family Members Are More Important Than Friends | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- As Communication Technology Develops, It Changes The Way We Communicate With Friends And Family Members | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Sometimes People Think That Young People Should Be Encouraged To Leave Their Family At A Certain Age | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That It Is Better To Get Advice From Old People Compared To Young People | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Television, Friends And Music Are The Main Factors That Influence A Child’s Development | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is Better For Young People To Get Advice From Old People Than Young Ones | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- Some People Think It Is More Important To Spend Time Developing Their Career While Others Think Time With Friends And Family Is More Important | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe It is Important To Give Gifts And Presents To Friends And Family To Show That We Care For Them | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Television Has Destroyed Communication Among Friends And Family | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample