Some People Believe That Public Celebrations Like National Days And Festivals Are A Waste Of Time | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that public celebrations like national days and festivals are a waste of time. They are of the opinion that people should spend money on more important things. Do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Many people insist that the money spent on celebrating cultural festivals and national events should be utilized for various other good causes. However, I strongly believe that celebrations and festivals are crucial because such events instill national pride and help us to stay rooted in our culture. In this essay, I will substantiate my view in detail.
On the one hand, celebrating national holidays such as Republic Day or Independence Day inculcate patriotism in people. Official ceremonies such as flag hoisting, parades and playing the national anthem during such holidays remind us of the fact that the comfort and freedom we enjoy today are a result of hardships endured by many veteran freedom fighters decades ago. Similarly, celebrations of cultural festivals help people to acknowledge and appreciate their culture and history. People are busy with their work nowadays and cultural festivals are rare moments in which people gather together with families and friends and carry out traditional practices. For example, during Diwali in India, people exchange gifts, prepare sweets and light fireworks, thereby making memorable events with their dear ones.
On the other hand, some people insist that the money spent on such celebrations should be utilized for improving the living condition of people. It is true that many people are underprivileged and malnourished in developing countries, but that does not mean that we should not cherish the public holidays. Instead, the government should look for alternative sources of income and allocate a sufficient proportion of their national budget for betterments like eradicating poverty and bettering public infrastructure. For example, they can increase the tax on tobacco and impose more penalties on lawbreakers.
In conclusion, I reiterate that public festivals foster nationalism and help us to commemorate the sacrifices made by our forefathers. Hence, I do not agree with the argument that we should stop celebrating them to raise funds for developmental work.
- IELTS Essay: Are public celebrations a waste of money?
- Band 8 essay sample | People have forgotten the meaning of festivals
- People Spend Too Much Money On Family Celebrations Such As Birthdays And Weddings | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 essay sample: People spend a lot of money on celebrations. Is this justified?
- Some People Argue That Arts Are A Waste Of Money | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- These Days Some People Spend A Lot Of Money On Tickets To Go To Sporting Events | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Spend A Lot Of Money For Their Wedding Celebrations | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some think spending a lot on birthday celebration and weddings is a waste of money | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | People Spend A Lot Of Money On Tickets Of Sports and Cultural Events
- The Maintenance Of Public Libraries Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample