Social Media Is Becoming Increasingly Popular Amongst All Age Groups | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Social media is becoming increasingly popular amongst all age groups. However, sharing personal information on social media websites does have risks. Do you think that the advantages of social media outweigh the disadvantages?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 essay sample
Nowadays, almost everyone is on one social networking site or another. Some people believe that there are a few downsides to posting personal details on social networking platforms. In my opinion, this is true to a great extent and I do not believe that the benefits of using social media eclipse the drawbacks.
Social media is a great platform to connect with friends and family. It enables people to trace long lost friends and stay in constant touch with family. This is a boon for people living away from their near and dear ones. Social media also enables like minded people to form virtual communities where they can share their interests, post their opinions and work together for their favourite causes. For business savvy people, social media is a great platform to find new customers and promote their products.
On the downside, social media has plenty of negative aspects. Over the years, it has become platform to show off. Now many people are only using it to brag about their achievements. They post photos of their expensive acquisitions and exotic vacations on platforms like Facebook and Instagram. This can make their less privileged friends and acquaintances feel bad about their existence. Another downside of using social media platforms is that people are indiscriminately posting their personal information online oblivious to the fact that it can be stolen and misused. For example, when traveling people use geo-tagging applications to advertise their current location, they increase the risk of their home getting burgled. Personal photos posted online can also be misused and sometimes the consequences can be disastrous. Oftentimes social media companies themselves sell user data for making a profit. Social media has also been instrumental in breaking many homes.
In short, social media is a great platform to connect with people only when it is used for its intended purpose. Unfortunately, these days, for many people it is merely a platform to boast of their achievements real and imaginary and for others it is a goldmine of personal data that they can exploit. Hence, in my opinion, the downsides of social media outweigh the upsides.
- Social Media Is Becoming Increasingly Popular Among All Age Groups | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Social media is becoming increasingly popular among all age groups
- Band 9 essay sample: Social media addiction
- Nowadays People Are Affected By The Internet And Social Media | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Believe That Social Networking Sites Have A Huge Negative Impact On Individuals And Society | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Technology Has Made People Less Social | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Believe That Social Networking Sites Have Had Huge Negative Impact On Both Individuals And Society | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Believe That Social Networking Sites Have Had Huge Negative Impact On Both Individuals And Society | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Believe That Social Networking Sites Such As Facebook Have A Huge Negative Impact On People | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays People Use Social Media To Keep In Touch With Others And Be Aware Of News | How To Write An Essay On This Topic