Research Has Shown That Overeating Is As Harmful As Smoking | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Research has shown that overeating is as harmful as smoking. Therefore, the advertising of certain food products should be banned in the way as the advertising of cigarettes is banned. Do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is said that the excessive consumption of food is as bad as smoking for health.
However, I completely disagree with the idea that the adverts of some food products should be prohibited.
There are various valid reasons why I believe that the advertisement of some food items should not be banned in the way tobacco commercials are banned. The main reason is that if the food items are eaten in the correct proportions, it does not harm our health. However, eating an enormous amount of food can lead to certain health ailments such as obesity. Another reason is that it is scientifically proven that smoking is injurious to our health so it is vital to ban the endorsements of cigarettes. However, this is not the case with all the food items because they are not as dangerous as smoking. Therefore (put a comma here) it is pointless to ban the advertisement of food products.
Furthermore, it is unequivocal that the ads provide information about products and create awareness among the masses about those products. Also, it is a person’s individual choice whether they should eat certain food products or not. Therefore, banning the adverts of certain food products would not serve the purpose. The cause of concern is not the food; rather it is the overconsumption of food. Instead of banning food products, governments should raise awareness among people about the harmful implications of overeating.
Since food is harmful only when it is eaten in excess quantity, I do not think that its advertisements should be banned. Instead, the government should launch campaigns to make people aware of the importance of consuming any food in moderation.
- Band 9 essay sample: All governments should ban smoking in public places
- Many People Believe That Advertising Has Negative Effects On Consumers | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Educating People About The Harmful Effects Of Junk Food Will Reduce Its Consumption | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Successful Companies Use Advertising To Make More Sales | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say That Advertising Encourages Us To Buy Things We Do Not Need | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Ads encourage people to buy things they don’t want
- It seems clear that obesity in today’s society is to some extent due to the availability of fast food | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Many Companies Use Advertising To Increase Sales | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Children Should Learn How Advertisements Try To Persuade Them | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries, It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Public Places | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample