Providing Free Public Transport Is The Best Way To Reduce Traffic Congestion | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
The best way that a government can reduce the traffic congestion in cities is to provide public transport free of cost to people 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
With the increase in population, the incidences of traffic jam are also rising. Some people argue that the government should provide free public transport to reduce traffic congestion. In my opinion, this measure can solve the problem only to a certain extent.
Due to urbanization most people now prefer to reside in cities or towns instead of rural areas. This is one of the main reasons for the high density of traffic on roads. At the same time, due to the advancement in technology, cars have become more affordable and fuel efficient. This has also increased the number of vehicles on the roads.
The government is certainly trying to decrease road traffic by making public transportation smooth and speedy. For example, in a highly populated city like Ahmedabad BRTS system has been introduced which facilitates bus stations around the whole city. This bus service can be availed 24*7 by public but it is not free and hence many people prefer to use their own vehicle). Even if public transportation is free, many people will still prefer to use their own vehicles probably because buses and trains congested and less comfortable. What’s more, free public transport will be a burden on the exchequer.
In my view, there are several other measures that the government can implement to reduce road traffic. For example, it should build wider roads, construct more flyovers and separate lanes for pedestrians and bicycle riders. At the same time, it should enforce strict traffic laws and encourage people to use eco-friendly modes of transport.
To conclude, making public transport free of cost will definitely encourage more people to use it; however, those who prefer comfort and convenience over cost will still continue to use private vehicles and hence it is not an effective way to reduce traffic congestion.
- The best way to reduce traffic congestion in cities is to provide a free public transport service | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Increasing Tax On Private Vehicles Will Reduce Traffic Congestion
- The Best Way To Solve Traffic Problems Is To Provide Free Public Transport | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | In order to solve traffic problems government should tax private cars owners heavily and use the money to improve public transport
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing The Price Of Petrol Is The Best Solution For Traffic Congestion And Air Pollution
- Band 9 essay sample: How to reduce the number of cars on the road
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Spending Money On Super Fast Trains Vs. Spending It On Existing Public Transport
- Government Should Improve Existing Public Transport Instead Of Investing In Super Fast Trains
- IELTS essay sample: Some people believe that governments should invest in trains to solve traffic problems
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing Car Ownership Has Made Many Cities One Big Traffic Jam