Pollution And Environmental Problems Cannot Be Avoided | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Pollution and other environmental damages are caused by a country developing and becoming richer. This problem cannot be avoided. To what extent do you agree?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Send me your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people argue that it is impossible for developing countries to further develop without damaging the environment. In their opinion, economic growth should be the first priority of the government. I do not agree with this view. In my opinion, economic growth is important but it cannot be at the expense of the environment.
When nations develop, they will require more resources. For example, developing countries like India and China need more fuel to power their growth. Excessive consumption of fossil fuels, unfortunately, leads to the emission of carbon dioxide and accelerates the rate of global warming. This, however, does not mean that these countries should be allowed to pollute for the sake of their development. Of course, they need to develop but the need of the hour is the development of sustainable sources of energy.
All countries should invest in green and clean energy sources. For example, in nations lying on either side of the equator there is considerable potential for harnessing solar energy. Countries that produce excess amount of green energy can sell it to other countries. Rich nations that are technologically and scientifically more advanced should share the technical know-how with poor and developing nations so that they can also take advantage of newer and greener technologies for a better tomorrow.
Environmental problems are not limited to any particular country and it is foolish to claim that only those nations that pollute should do something about it. Before long, the impact of pollution caused by rapidly developing nations will also be felt in the developed world.
To conclude, since our survival depends on the environment we cannot ignore environmental problems on the pretext that they are a byproduct of development. Of course, there is a need for development but it is time we said no to development that destroys the planet.
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Developed Nations Have a Greater Responsibility to Tackle Climate Change
- Band 8 sample essay: Nations should cooperate with one another to solve environmental problems
- IELTS essay about increasing air and water pollution in developing nations
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- Band 7.5 essay sample: Developed nations should give financial aid to undeveloped nations
- IELTS essay sample about climate change
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Modern Inventions Cause More Problems Than Solutions
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | In Order To Meet Growing Energy Requirements Undiscovered Places Should Be Opened Up
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Government Should Reduce Pollution and Improve Housing to Prevent People from Falling Ill