People Nowadays Send Text Messages More Frequently Than They Talk On The Phone | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
People nowadays send text messages more frequently than they talk on the phone. What are the reasons for this trend? Do the advantages of texting outweigh the disadvantages?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
There is no doubt that texting is now trendier than calling over the phone. The fast paced lifestyle is one of the main reasons for this development. Personally, I believe that the demerits of texting overweigh the merits.
Firstly, the reason for the popularity of text messages is the change in culture. People are leading a fast paced life these days and they do not have much time to spare on calls and prefer to work asynchronously. Texting is more popular because it is less formal. You can do something else while you are texting. You can use very informal language. Also, the recipient can decide whether they want to respond or not. Also, texting is less invasive. You just leave a message there hoping that someone will respond. If they do respond, good. If they don’t respond, that is okay too. Calling, on the other hand, is immediate. You have to give an answer immediately. Also, texting is more convenient when you want to hide your emotions. If you are angry and you call, the listener can immediately understand it. Texting does not reveal much about your state of mind.
There are two prominent disadvantages to this trend. The first one is that through text messages, one cannot easily understand the tone of the sender and this sometimes leads to misunderstanding. For instance, there have been instances in our daily lives when we text and end up in a rift because of misconceptions that arise from texting. Personal connect that is best established only through calls is also missing when it comes to sending text messages. It has been proved that listening to the voice of loved ones generates a sense of positive vibes which unfortunately cannot be felt while typing.
In conclusion, communicating through written messages is now more popular than calling because of the lack of time and more self-centric culture. But this is causing more harm than good as it leads to more misinterpretations and loss of personal relations and intimacy.
Want to improve your English Grammar? Get my book and avoid making the common mistakes that IELTS test takers usually make.
- Most People Send Text Messages Rather Than Calling | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Use Their Phones To Communicate By Sending Text Messages Than Talking | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Having A Conversation On A Mobile Phone In A Public Or Crowded Place Should Be Banned | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays Technology Is Increasingly Being Used To Monitor What People Are Saying And Doing | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Bar Chart Shows How Frequently People Ate In Fast Food Restaurants | Task 1 Academic IELTS Report Sample
- You Bought A New Phone And It Has Stopped Working | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Technology Has Made People Less Social | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays Many People Complain That They Have Difficulty Getting Enough Sleep | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Old People Today Struggle With The Use Of Modern Technologies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays, More And More People Are Having Consumer Goods Like Refrigerators And Washing Machines | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample