Many People Work Long Hours | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Many people work long hours, leaving very little time for leisure activities. Does this situation have more advantages or more disadvantages? Give reason for your answer and include any relevant example from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
An overwhelming number of people work for long hours which leaves them with very little time for recreational activities. In my opinion, this has lots of drawbacks when compared to any minor benefits it might bring.
Admittedly, if people work for long hours, it helps in their career progression as well as job prospects. In other words, since we have fierce competition in the job market, hardworking is inevitable for one to rise through ranks. Another point to consider is that working hard aids in the acquisition of desired skill which is required for a person to prove themselves to be an asset to the company. Therefore, hard working employees are offered not only incentives such as travel allowance but also fringe benefits like housing allowance and free medical insurance.
Despite the advantages mentioned above, I believe that instead of allocating some time for leisure activities if a person works for prolonged time, it affects them negatively. Firstly, constant work can result in burnout and affect our mental wellbeing. It is undeniable that people need to unwind from stress to become more productive. Secondly, people can turn their hobbies into useful skills. For instance, some interests such as photography or art offer a creative outlet. Finally, working hard will affect a person’s work/life balance and, therefore, blur the boundaries between personal and professional life. People would find it difficult to wind down at home as they work so hard.
In conclusion, owing to the fact that recreational activities as well as free time are of paramount importance in a person’s life, negative impacts of people working hard for long time far outweighs any of the benefits it might bring.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Many People Work Long Hours, Leaving Very Little Time For Leisure Activities | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Shops Are Open 24 Hours A Day 7 Hours A Week | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- A Growing Number Of People Work By Telecommuting | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Have Very Little Time For Leisure Activities | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: Is work-life balance necessary?
- Some People Believe That Children Should Do More School Work In Their Free Time | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Work For The Same Organisation All Their Working Life | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- More And More People Are Working At Home Rather Than In The Workplace. Some People Think This Will Bring Stress To Home | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Believe That People Should Not Continue To Work Once They Reach The Age Of Retirement | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Computers and modems have made it possible for office workers to do much of their work from home instead of working in offices every day