Many parents believe that when their children read books for entertainment, they are wasting their time, and that they should only read serious, educational books. What is your opinion about this?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing module? Use our writing correction service.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
According to some parents, children ought to read only books with educational importance and reading books for entertainment is a waste of time. In my opinion, children should not be restricted to read only certain genre of books because both the entertainment and educational books serve the purpose of imparting positive skills in children.
Some parents think that children should be motivated to read only educational books and not comics and fiction which are not worth their time. They think so because educational books impart knowledge and information that help children with their studies and future progress. Furthermore, these books provide relevant and real information about incidents happening across the globe which eventually enable children to explore the world through books. Undoubtedly, I admit that the role of educational books in children’s intellectual growth is crucial and hence, undeniable.
Regarding entertainment books, I do not agree with the view that reading short stories, novels or fiction for fun is a waste of time. The stories and the incidents narrated in these books conspicuously improve children’s creativity and imagination. Moreover, serious facts and events in academic texts can make reading a boring activity for them while entertainment books kindle their interest, boost their reading skills and thus, transform them into voracious readers in future. Unlike academic texts, which contain a plethora of technical terms and usages, the simple language in story books enables children to grasp the ideas easily.
In conclusion, educational books are useful for developing children’s intelligence and study skills whereas entertainment books help in their overall development. Therefore, I think that reading entertainment books should not be considered as a waste of time; rather, they should be given the same importance as other books.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Books Are Becoming Less Important As A Source Of Information
- Books Are Losing Importance As A Source Of Information | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Reading Success Tips
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In recent years, more and more people are choosing to read e-books rather than paper books. Do the advantages outweigh disadvantages?
- In recent years, more and more people are choosing to read e books rather than paper books | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Say Television Is Useful In Education, While Others Say It Is Useful Only For Entertainment | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Reading
- Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample | Traditional Reading is better than the digital reading. Do you agree or disagree?
- Strategies for the reading section
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | The Internet Is Replacing Regular Books