Making comparisons using as…as
The structure as much as and as many as are used to talk about quantity.
- I earn as much money as you do.
- We need as many volunteers as possible.
- Eat as much as you can.
- You ought to get as much rest as possible.
Difference between as much and as many
As much is used with uncountable nouns. As many is used with countable nouns.
Half as…as / twice as…as / three times as … as
- She is not half as clever as her sister.
- He is twice as old as his wife.
- The journey took three times as long as I had expected.
Instead of three times as…as, we can use a structure with three times + comparative + than.
- The journey took three times longer than I had expected.
Structures with as…as can be modified by degree modifiers like nearly, almost, just, exactly and not quite.
- He scored nearly as many runs as I did.
- He is just as strong as you are.