It Is Impossible To Succeed If You Cannot Speak A Foreign Language | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
As a result of globalization, it is impossible to succeed if you cannot speak one foreign language. Do you think everyone must learn at least one foreign language?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
With globalization and development in technology, the world has become a small village where geographical boundaries are becoming irrelevant. Some people opine that in order to succeed in this world, we should be able to speak at least one foreign language. I do not quite agree with this view. This essay will discuss how important it is to speak a foreign language to succeed in life.
Language is an important means of communication especially when one is in a foreign country with no friends or family relatives around. When I was in New Zealand in the year 1990 on a pleasure trip, it was very difficult for me to communicate with locals. Back in those days there was no technology to assist me to communicate with people in English Because my first language is not English, communicating in a foreign language was not an easy task. At times I could not understand the locals’ English; at other times) they could not understand my thick Indian English accent. That was the time when I realized that I needed to improve my English to communicate effectively and become successful in my career.
As mentioned above it is good to speak at least one foreign language to be successful; however with current technology one does not need to learn any foreign language to become successful in one’s career. These days there are many language translation applications that are available on the Android store. We can install these applications and literally talk to the phone in our native dialect and the app does the rest. In the background, the application captures the audio from the recorder and translates the original language to any foreign language and plays the audio in a few seconds. With development in the technology and artificial intelligence we can communicate effectively without speaking a foreign language or hiring a translator. In other words, nowadays, it is not necessary to learn a foreign language to become successful in career.
To conclude, in this essay I discussed how our proficiency or lack of it in a foreign language can impact our career. I feel it is up to us to decide whether we want to learn a foreign language or not. With current technology, language is no more a barrier for effective communication or success at the workplace.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- It Is Impossible To Succeed If You Cannot Speak One Foreign Language | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Having To Speak A Foreign Language Can Cause Serious Problems | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- IELTS essay about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Learning Another Foreign Language Before English Is Waste Of Time | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Only Reason For Learning A Foreign Language Is To Travel Or Work In A Foreign Country | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Living In A Country Where You Have To Speak A Foreign Language Can Cause Serious Social And Practical Problems | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Useless To Learn Another Foreign Language Before English
- Speaking part 2: Talk about a situation where you had to communicate in a foreign language for the first time
- To Learn A Foreign Language, It Is Necessary To Live In The Country Where It Is Spoken | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample