It Is Better To Learn Cooking After People Become Adults | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that cooking is an important skill for young people to learn. Others believe that it is better for people to learn how to cook after they become adults. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Cooking is a skill that every human being has to master because our survival depends on food. Some people argue that children should learn cooking. Others insist that they can wait until they become adults. In my opinion, cooking can be learned at any age but very young children especially those below the age of twelve should not be allowed or encouraged to cook because they may harm themselves.
Cooking requires a person to handle sharp objects like knives. Since very young children lack the expertise to handle these objects, they are more likely to cause themselves some injuries if they engage in cooking. Operating a gas stove or an electric heater can be even more dangerous for young people. For this reason, very young children should not be allowed to cook. However, there is no harm when a comparatively older child tries their skills in the kitchen. Actually, teen boys and girls should be encouraged to learn at least the basics of cooking because this skill will be of great use to them when their parents are away. What’s more, teens get plenty of leisure time. This enables them to learn cooking under the supervision of their parents.
By contrast, when people enter their adulthood it becomes imperative for them to cook. If they have not already mastered this skill, they will find themselves in serious trouble. For example, many adults live away from their parents or family. If they already know cooking, moving away from family will not be much of a problem for them. But if they know nothing of cooking the first few days or weeks of their life in the new place will be quite stressful and they will have to rely on restaurant food. Whether or not this is a viable option depends on their financial status because restaurant food is not cheap. While it is perfectly possible to learn cooking after a person becomes an adult, the truth is that no one can become an expert cook in a day or two. Also, adults have a lot of other responsibilities as well. They may have young children to take care of and a busy job. As a result, many of them will have a tough time finding time to learn cooking.
To conclude, one does not have to wait to enter adulthood to learn cooking. Learning it during adolescence is actually easier because teenagers live with their parents and hence they can easily learn this important life skill from their adults. Also, they have plenty of free time.
- IELTS writing test in Hong Kong and Singapore: Cooking food at home is a waste of time
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- It is often said that children learn best by observing the behavior of adults and copying it | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Children Learn By Observing And Copying the Behaviour of Adults
- IELTS essay about unhealthy eating habits in children
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Fewer schools are requiring children to learn and improve their handwriting skills. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
- Should Children Learn A Foreign Language From Primary School? | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Should Everyone Learn English?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Better For Children To Learn A Foreign Language At A Young Age