Is Freedom Of Speech Necessary In A Free Society? | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Is freedom of speech necessary in a free society? Give reasons for your answer.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 essay sample
It is debatable whether free speech is an absolute must or not. In my opinion, it should definitely be protected because it is crucial for the progress and wellbeing of the society; however, there are certain situations where it needs to be reined.
Like every other form of freedom, freedom of speech is not absolute. No one should have the right to say whatever they want regardless of the consequences. Words are like weapons. They can hurt if they are not wielded carefully. For example, if someone ridicules another for being born with a certain disability it can have a very damaging effect on the victim. Thus, in my opinion, people with disability should be protected from a personal attack wrapped in the name of free speech. Furthermore, any forms of bullying should not be tolerated. Whether it is verbal or physical, no one should suffer when another person exercises their freedom of speech. For instance, nowadays it is popular among web-users to ‘troll’ someone online. This act of ridiculing others on the web is popularly called trolling and it is very toxic. Trolling has even led to suicides. Therefore, freedom of speech should have its limits and law should be drafted to protect people from its misuse.
On the other hand, freedom of speech and expression is crucial for the healthy functioning of the society. The freedom to express opinions is crucial for a civilized society to correct its course for a better tomorrow. Regardless of how controversial an issue is, people should have the freedom to express themselves and be heard of. This is one way for the government to assess public sentiment and take actions for a brighter future. Hence, free speech is not only beneficial but also mandatory for a society to progress. Without it, authorities will have full control over the people and progress will not be made.
In conclusion, free speech should have its limitations and no one should be allowed to hurt another person by mouthing whatever they feel like. At the same time, it should be protected and encouraged because in a free society everyone has the right to be heard.
- Band 9 essay sample | Is freedom of speech essential in a free society?
- Artists Should Have Total Freedom To Express Their Thoughts | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Artists need a certain amount of freedom to develop their creativity | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some people think that artists should be given total freedom | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Think That Allowing Children To Make Their Own Choices Is Likely To Result In A Society Of Individuals Who Only Think About Their Own Wishes | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- People Now Have The Freedom To Work And Live Anywhere In The World | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Art Is Considered An Important Part Of The Society As Well As An Expression Of Its Culture | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Old Buildings Should Be Knocked Down | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Best Way To Solve The Traffic Congestion In City Is To Provide Free Public Transport For 24 Hours A Day | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers on the society