In The Future, There Will Be A Higher Proportion Of Older People Than Younger People In Many Countries | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
In the future, there will be a higher proportion of older people than younger people in many countries. Why is this? Is this a positive or negative development?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
According to some studies, there will be more seniors than youngsters in many countries in the future. In my opinion, this is largely a negative development although it does have some benefits.
Developments in medical science and improved access to healthcare has enabled people to live longer and that is why there is an increase in the number of seniors in some countries. At the same time, families are becoming smaller. Couples are opting to have fewer and fewer children and this has reduced the number of young people. This could be due to the widespread realization that smaller families are happier. The hectic lifestyle and stress have also discouraged many people from having babies altogether. Needless to say, in future, many countries will have a higher proportion of old people.
In my opinion, there are both positive and negative aspects to having more old than young people in a country. The main advantage is that seniors possess abundant experience and as such they can offer valuable advice to young people. The unemployment rate will also reduce when there are fewer young people.
On the other hand, the downsides of this development are even more pronounced. Old people are not productive. Also, they are more likely to develop health problems. Hence, when a nation has a higher proportion of seniors than youngsters, its economy will be in trouble. The government will also have to spend a lot more on senior care. While being able to live longer is definitely a blessing, its economic consequences can be devastating for countries that do not have enough young people to take it forward.
To conclude, lower birthrates and increased access to healthcare are the factors contributing to a rise in the population of elderly in many countries. This development has both positive and negative aspects; however, the negatives are more pronounced than the positives.
Want to improve your English Grammar? Get my book and avoid making the common mistakes that IELTS test takers usually make.
- IELTS Essay: Older people are going to outnumber younger people…
- People Are Living An Increasingly Longer Life And There Are More Old People Than Young People In Many Countries | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- There Is An Increasing Point Of Old People Living Longer In Many Countries
- Many People Try To Look Younger Than Their Age | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: People are living longer. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Some People Think That Higher Taxes Should Be Collected From Industries Causing Higher Industrial Pollution | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That There Will Be A Reduction In Air Travel In The Future | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries Around The World Young People Decide To Leave Their Parents’ Home Once They Finish School | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Are younger employees more valuable than older employees?
- In Many Countries Of The World, There Is A Trend Among Young People To Live Alone Or With Their Friends | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample