In Many Countries Today, People In Cities Either Live Alone Or In Small Family Units | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
In many countries today, people in cities either live alone or in small family units, rather than in large, extended family groups. Is this a positive or negative trend?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
The family structure has undergone drastic changes due to urbanization. In many cities now, most families consist of just one or two persons. In my opinion, the shrinking of the family unit is an unwelcome trend.
Families are becoming smaller due to a number of reasons and it is a negative trend. The main reason is that when people live in nuclear families they fail to bond with their relatives. And those who live alone suffer from loneliness and depression. For example, many urban residents who live alone suffer from higher levels of stress because they have no one to care for them when they fall ill and experience other problems. For instance, a recent BBC documentary revealed that lack of family attachment is the prime reason apart from work stress that is leading to an increased number of family breakups, suicides, and domestic violence in London households. Children also suffer from the shrinking of family size. Children with busy parents are left alone at care centres and schools without much affection and guidance to nurture them at their tender age. The support provided by day care centres is no match to the love and care a child can receive from extended family members like grandparents.
Despite the above detrimental effects there may be a positive aspect to having a small family in a city. The only positive side in having a small family is financial affordability in a city environment. It is true that cost cutting is important for urban dwellers; however, living in a joint family is a great way to beat loneliness, and alienation.
In conclusion, it is evident that small families are the norm in cities although a large extended family with joy and bonding is important for a thriving family. In my opinion, if given a chance, people should never hesitate to share their space with their extended family.
Is bad grammar hurting your writing score. Buy my book with proven tips to improve your English Grammar.
- Some Believe That Elderly People Should Live In Nursing Homes; Others Think They Should Live With Their Family | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More And More People Are Showing An Interest in Finding Out Their Family History
- Some People Like To Live Alone In Some Countries | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- To solve traffic and transportation problems, people should be encouraged to live in cities | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In Order To Solve Traffic Problems People Should Live In Cities
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- Today More And More People Choose To Live By Themselves | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Are Leaving The Countryside To Live In Cities And Towns | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some people like to live alone in some countries. What are the reasons? | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Some Young People Are Leaving The Countryside To Live In Cities | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample