In Many Cities Video Cameras Are Used In Public Places To Reduce Crime | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
In many cities the use of video cameras in public places is being increased in order to reduce crime, but some people believe that these measures restrict our individual freedom. Do the benefits of increased security outweigh the drawbacks?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
It is a contentious issue whether surveillance cameras for security should be used or not. Some people argue that surveillance cameras help to reduce crime. However, others insist that the presence of cameras violate the privacy of people. In my opinion, the benefits offered by video cameras outweigh the disadvantages.
On the positive side, proponents of CCTVs put forth this argument that this initiative aids in reducing the crime rate. To elaborate, criminal activities often take place in the public places and installation of these electronic equipments in these places enables the police force to monitor the happenings. In addition to that, recorded footage can be used in court as strong evidence. Therefore, culprits will think twice prior to committing a crime. In other words, this way of rendering protection will disseminate word to potential offenders; consequently, they will abstain from perpetrating the criminal act.
On the negative side, opponents argue that cameras violate the privacy of citizens, because, they invade personal space of people by recording their actions continuously. Furthermore, these gadgets are part of technology, which can be hacked and stolen information could be put into use for malicious purposes. Another reason is that perpetrators can hide their identity by covering face. In this case, these security cameras are useless.
To conclude, having analyzed both the merits and demerits, it is evident that video cameras are immensely beneficial for keeping a check on criminals and criminal activity. Thus, the advantages of installing CCTVs definitely outweigh the disadvantages which are rather insignificant.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- Some Think That Fighting Poverty Is The Best Way To Reduce Crime
- In Many Countries, It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Public Places | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Educating Criminals in Prison Will Reduce Crime Rate
- The best way to reduce traffic congestion in cities is to provide a free public transport service | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 essay sample | Mobile phones should be banned in public places
- IELTS essay about littering in public places
- The Only Way To Reduce The Amount Of Traffic In Cities Is To Reduce The Need For People To Travel | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Have The Opinion That Big Shopping Malls Are Expensive Places As They Charge Higher Prices For Products | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 essay about people not feeling safe at home or in public places