In Many Cities, The Use Of Video Cameras In Public Places Is Being Increased In Order To Reduce Crime | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
In many cities the use of video cameras in public places is being increased in order to reduce crime, but some people believe that these measures restrict our individual freedom. Do the benefits of increased security outweigh the drawbacks?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
It is indeed true that video cameras are increasing being used in many metropolitan cities to deter crime. While I accept that surveillance cameras invade our privacy, in my opinion, the benefits of using them to improve security undoubtedly outweigh the demerits.
The installation of video cameras at public places certainly leads to the invasion of privacy. They capture each and every moment and as such people who are aware of their presence often feel forced to make a conscious effort to conduct themselves respectably when they access public places. While this is not a major issue, it can certainly be a nuisance at times.
Even so, I would argue that the benefits derived from deploying video cameras at public places are more pronounced than the limitations. Firstly, they make public places safer by reducing or even preventing criminal activities. This is because being under the constant surveillance of video cameras deters both amateur and seasoned criminals from committing crimes. They understand that they are being watched and this stops them from doing anything illegal. For example, New Zealand, which is one of the most peaceful nations in the world, has considerably reduced the crime rate during night by installing video cameras at all public places. Of course, increasing police patrolling of streets may also help to reduce crime, but cameras have an advantage over human law keepers. Unlike a human police officer, a surveillance camera will not fall asleep or develop fatigue while on duty.
In conclusion, the advantages of utilizing / installing video cameras to enhance security at public places certainly outweigh the disadvantages. After all, safety is more important than privacy.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- In Many Cities Video Cameras Are Used In Public Places To Reduce Crime | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Technological Tools Such As Body Scanners And CCTVs Have Enhanced Our Safety | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Think That Fighting Poverty Is The Best Way To Reduce Crime
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- The Only Way To Reduce The Amount Of Traffic In Cities Is To Reduce The Need For People To Travel | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- People Feel Unsafe In Public And At Home | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It is important to have huge public spaces like parks and squares in towns and cities.
- Band 7 essay about people not feeling safe at home or in public places
- Band 8 essay sample | Mobile phones should be banned in public places
- Some People Think That High End Technology Can Prevent And Cut Down Crime Rate | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample