IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
IELTS essay prompt
In many countries traditional food is being replaced by international fast food. This has adverse effects on families, individuals and the society. Do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion.
More and more families now subsist on fast foods supplied by international restaurant chains such as KFC and McDonalds. In fact, many families have forgotten the art of traditional cooking. In my opinion, this is a negative trend with far reaching consequences.
The food that we eat plays an important role in keeping us healthy. Home-cooked traditional food is healthier than restaurant food for many reasons. Traditional cooking methods are developed by communities over a long period of time. There are several benefits to sticking to this style of cooking. To start with, foods prepared in traditional ways keep us healthier. Also, traditional cooking uses locally grown ingredients. This eliminates the need to import fruits or vegetables from far-away places.
The fast food culture has not only caused health problems but also killed the family bonding over meals. When families sit around a table enjoying a meal, it strengthens relationships. Nowadays in many families children and adults just sit in front of the TV and eat from fast food packets held in their hands. This does not help their health or their equation with others in the family.
Fast food consumption has several implications on the society as well. The prosperity of a society depends upon the health and well-being of its people. When people develop health problems because of their bad eating habits, the government and medical insurance companies will have to cough up huge amounts of money to cover their medical expenses. The government will pass that cost on to the public by increasing taxes.
To conclude, societies all over the world are falling prey to the fast food culture. This has several negative implications. It is high time the government and the media created awareness about this growing menace.
- IELTS writing test in Hong Kong and Singapore: Cooking food at home is a waste of time
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Eating home-cooked food is better than eating out
- IELTS essay: Has technology caused traditional ways of life to die
- IELTS speaking: practice questions with answers
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students participate in international student exchange programs?
- Band 9 essay sample: A thank-you letter
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- IELTS essay about causes of obesity
- IELTS speaking test in Melbourne – January 2012 (Academic module)