IELTS Essay: Shopping for fun
Shopping is becoming more and more popular as a leisure activity. However, some people feel that this has both positive and negative effects.
- Why is shopping so popular?
- What effects does its increase in popularity have on individuals and on society?
Thanks to growing consumerism, the number of people who shop for fun and pleasure is on the rise. This is a direct consequence of intensive marketing efforts employed by companies. In my opinion, this trend has both positive and negative impacts on people and societies.
Marketers have been studying human psychology to determine the factors that convince people to buy more. They spend millions of dollars on advertising to encourage people to splurge and feel good about doing so.
This sharp increase in shopping activity has both good and bad repercussions. Many people now work long hours and earn handsome salaries. They want to feel rewarded for all those hours spent at the workplace and often go on a shopping spree.
There is no harm in buying new things but if people don’t balance their emotions and gain control over their desires, they will soon find themselves in deep debts. Credit cards have made borrowing easier, but they are a big trap.
The skyrocketing shopping activity is good for the society in many ways. It results in healthy economic activity. This creates the right environment where young entrepreneurs can implement their creative ideas.
On the other end of the spectrum, excessive shopping creates a society of haves and have-nots. Not everybody can afford to buy new items that hit the market. When people who have the money to splurge begin to show off their new possessions, it will create an inferiority complex in others who cannot afford to buy them. They might even feel compelled to make money in whatever way they can. This can cause an increase in crime. It may also strain relationships.
In short, the rise in shopping is due to excessive advertising. While this trend has a few positive effects on the people, it has several drawbacks as well. In my opinion, people should only buy items that they really need.
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- Topic card: Talk about online shopping
- IELTS Essay Questions
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- IELTS essay: Do you think that admiring film and sports personalities is a good idea?
- IELTS essay: The usage of private cars is increasing. What are the problems associated with this?