IELTS essay sample | The growth in population is the biggest threat humanity faces
The continued rise in the world’s population is the greatest problem faced by humanity at the present time. What are the causes of this continued rise? Do you agree that it is the greatest problem faced by humanity?
Band 9 Sample IELTS essay
Some people believe that the sharp increase in global population is the most serious problem that humanity faces. I agree with them because an increase in population will lead to fast depletion of natural resources and could even threaten our very existence on this planet.
Global population increased dramatically during the last century and this can be attributed to the development in health care facilities. Thanks to the availability of life saving drugs and vaccinations, more and more people are now able to live to 70 or 80. A lot of people live even longer. The general increase in longevity and the reduction in infant mortality rates are the main causes behind the population boom.
Longevity is good and desirable, but if the birth rate continues at this rate, we will soon run out of resources. When the population increases the demand for resources also increases. Currently over 7 billion people live on this planet. They all need food, water and shelter. To grow enough food for all the people, more land needs to cultivated. Since mankind can’t create any more land, an increase in population intensifies the battle for the available land. People have already cleared many forests for housing and agricultural needs. Deforestation upsets the balance of nature and causes several environmental disasters.
The increase in population also leads to man-animal conflict. Human beings have already encroached upon their land and now they have started venturing into our space. Wild animals like elephants, tigers, deer and pigs cause a great deal of damage to crops and even human life. The increase in population may also lead to more conflicts between nations. The concentration of wealth in a few nations will create resentment among others and it wouldn’t be long before the have-nots attack the haves.
To conclude, the massive growth in global population has even started threatening our very existence on this planet. If this trend continues, in the near future we might wage wars for food, water and land.
- IELTS essay sample: People are living longer. Is this a positive or negative development?
- IELTS essay sample: Effects of increasing population
- Band 9 essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of longevity
- IELTS essay about excessive consumption of natural resources
- Band 9 essay sample | We need to live with the climate change instead of preventing it
- IELTS essay sample | Environment protection is the responsibility of politicians
- IELTS essay about the depletion of natural resources
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- Band 8 essay | Should wealthy nations help poor nations?
- Band 9 essay sample | The rich nations should help the poor nations